Hatteras -- Feb. 19-20

FYI.
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: hatteras on the 19th and 20th of feb
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 16:16:29 EST
From: "George L. Armistead" <georgearmistead@hotmail.com>
To: cwitt@unix1.sncc.lsu.edu
CC: WMBREL@aol.com, mathews@acnatsci.org,
ridgely@acnatsci.org,bruce.mactavish1@nf.sympatico.ca,
hewittd@sas.upenn.edu,dorian@leland.Stanford.EDU, jamcam@lycosmail.com,
PGURIS@moneynet.com,9903476@bute.sms.ed.ac.uk,
krussell@birdsofna.org,keri.boomgarden@mailexcite.com, khp3@aol.com,
Harry.LeGrand@ncmail.net,miliff@aol.com, dufortm@carleton.edu,
sharp@acnatsci.org,carpinim@bulldog.georgetown.edu,
lehmfinn@bellatlantic.net,hillp@carleton.edu, 74077.3176@compuserve.com,
HeraldPetrel@aol.com,paul_sykes@usgs.gov, GreatGrayO@AOL.COM

The pelagic trip scheduled to go from Cape Hatteras, NC the 19th of
February
was postponed til Sunday so birders took to Cape Point to try and
unearth
some unusual gulls.  Though there were only a few hundred gulls on the
beach
the following were observed by myself, Matt Sharp, and Brian Patteson: 1
presumed Greater Black-backed x Herring Gull hybrid, 1 presumed Lesser
black-backed x Herring Gull hybrid, 2 Nelson's (GLGU x HEGU) Gulls, 1
1st
winter Iceland, and one adult California Gull(albertensis?).  All the
above
gulls presumed to be hybrids were in 1st winter plumage.  Other
observers
had seen a Kittiwake and an adult Glaucous fly by the beach.  Also of
note
sat. were one male Ruby-throated and one female Archilochus sp.
Hummingbird
at the feeders of the Cape Pines Motel.

On the pelagic trip on Sunday (20th) the following were seen(this from
memory; I don't have the numbers in front of me):  9 and 1/2 gull
species
including 1 Laughing, 20+ Lessers, 3-4 1st winter Nelson's Gulls, 1-2
Little
Gulls, 2 Kittiwakes, and a 2nd year California Gull (californicus?),
540+
Razorbills, 120+ N. Fulmars, 4 Great Skuas (1 of which was very close to
shore) and about 20 Loggerhead Sea Turtles.  Of the Razorbills that were
seen flying, those that were not spooked by the boat, were headed
north.
With those on the water, there seemed to be a strong association with
Bonaparte's Gull flocks.

Best to all,
-George

George L. Armistead