Re: Snowy Owl in pines?

Hi Folks,

Just a little on FL's Snowy Owl's perching behavior.  Generally, our owl
behaved as Harry, Josh, and Jack stated, using dunes and telephone poles.
However it was seen on well exposed limbs of large pines.  It appeared to
be using the trees as vantage points as it certainly wasn't concealed
amongst foliage or snug against the trunk.  I couldn't help but wonder if
these perches were chosen to get away from people.  The owl was well
"birded".  If it wasn't nervous about being scrutinized, it may have had
trouble locating prey due to people (and dogs).  I saw it flushed more than
once by people seeing how close they could get to it (not necessarily
birders).  At last report it was a little further inland of the beach in a
tree at the border of a sandy field with newly planted pines.

Jack Dozier
Alligator Pt., FL
jdozier@nettally.com