GBBC Hummer reports

Hi!

I have received a couple inquiries about hummers that were reported from
the Carolinas last weekend during the Great Backyard Bird Count.  Folks are
disappointed that they are not showing up in the results.  As suspected, I
was informed that the 'write in' data, such as these winter hummers, are
not added to the results until the staff edit the database (i.e. confirm
the validity of such reports).  The editing process will begin this weekend
but it may be awhile before the hummingbird species (as well as the opther
write-ins) will be included.  But fear not, the staff are well aware of
winter hummers in the Carolinas!  They have even asked me to help in the
review process, to be sure the hummer species are reported accurately.

I will let you know when the posted results from this year's event are
final. Then you will be able to log on to BirdSource and see how things
officially turned out for GBBC 2000.

Susan M. Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC

ncaves@utinet.net