those darn kinglets again

Okay, if you insist that you lost a lot of kinglets (at least Ruby-crowneds it
would seem).  So do you think that the kinglets that winter in the Piedmont are
less well adapted to cold, snowy, and even icy conditions than those that
winter in the northern states or in the WNC mountains (we get some pretty ugly
weather here for at least a period of time almost every winter) (talking about
Golden-crowned here now)?
Re Ruby-crowneds, I'm not terribly comfortable using the GBBC info as
this trend may have existed before the snows for all we know.  All you have is
feelings of casual observations for that.  I think the Feederwatch data might
be able to show trends a little better.  Of course those are birds that have a
steady source of food, so even that data could be skewed.
Anyway, I'm still somewhat sceptical.  In any event, I'm sure nature accounts
for these small scale tragedies (some birds lost in the piedmont of NC) and the
overall kinglet population will not be greatly affected.
	By the way, when I suggested they moved, I didn't mean a hundred miles,
I meant to another source of food in the area.  After all, the kinglets in the
northern states don't all come down to NC when they get bad weather up there.
	I hope you're not taking these arguments in a wrong manner.  Being a
product of the 60's, questioning authority is in my nature.
Marilyn Westphal/Hendersonville, NC  email:  mjwestphal@unca.edu