Sparrows

Two good observations. On the last day of February I had a total of 8 Fox
Sparrows in the Blomquist area of Duke Gardens. A high for me at that site.
Yesterday I took advantage of the good weather and a lull in my work schedule
and walked around Mason's Farm. Very few birds were in evidence except for
White-throated Sparrows. 99.5% of all the rustling noises in the undergrowth
turned out to be that species. The other 0.5% was a LINCOLN'S SPARROW. I think
this is the fourth siting of this species at Mason's Farm since the fall.

Jim Bloor, Ph.D
Department of Cell Biology,
Duke University Medical Center,
DUMC Box 3709,