American Widgeon

Hi everyone,

On Saturday and again on Sunday I was walking at the greenway at Lake Lynn on Lynn Road in Raleigh, when I saw an unusual duck. At first I thought it was some kind of Muscovy/Mallard hybrid, but when I checked my bird book, I think it was an American Widgeon. It had a purple-green head with a whitish-gray wash from the top of the bill up the front of the head. The bill was light bluish gray. The bird had rufous feathers along its sides and very striking black feathers edged with white across the back.

The head markings didn't seem to quite match the bird book's picture or descriptions, because the crown was definitely not white, it was the same purple-green as the rest of the head.

Is it unusual to see only one Widgeon? And is it rare to see one in such a populated place? The fellow was right beside the wooden walkway at the rear of the lake on both days, in among the weeds.

Oh, I also saw a small raft of Ruddy Ducks, four males and three females. First time at that lake, for me. :-)

Lisa G.
Lisabirder@aol.com
Raleigh, NC