Re: Ticks and birds

In a message dated 3/2/00 1:27:12 PM, steven.shultz@us.pwcglobal.com writes:

<< Do ticks "breed" year round?  The only time I have seen, and been
particularly
concerned about, the larval (?) ticks called "seed ticks" , is in the summer.
I, along with many other birder I'm sure, hang around in brushy areas in the
winter with less concern about human tick infestation than in the summer.  Am
fooling myself, or do I need to take the standard tick precautions in January
like I would in June?

I've only noticed seed ticks in the hottest part of summer, usually late July
is the time they bother us or our dog.  They're the worst, in my opinion, a
nuisance.
But beware,  my daughter came home last weekend after playing in a friend's
yard near Jordan Lake with 2 ticks on her!!  She knocked one off while she
was playing, so that would be 3;  the one's I saw looked like a Lone Star
Tick and maybe an American Dog Tick or brown dog tick.  Both were easily
noticed, the Lone Star was already attached to her skin, Ugh!  I don't think
they'de  "breed" here year round, but I'm just guessing.
Shelley Theye
Psbmt@aol.com
N. Chatham Cty, NC