Re: Eurasian Collared-Dove--New Yard Bird

In message <MAPI.Id.0016.006f686e204675733030304330303043@MAPI.to.RFC822
>, John Fussell <jfuss@bmd.clis.com> writes
>
>1 Eurasian Collared-Dove in my yard this morning,
>a new yard bird.
>
>Will there still be Mourning Doves
>in the yard in 5 years?
>
>John Fussell
>Morehead City, NC
>jfuss@bmd.clis.com

Collared Doves arrived here in England in 1956 and took about ten years
to become widespread.  Their arrival does not seem to have had any
detrimental effect, indeed they seem to have integrated seamlessly.
They provide prey for our Sparrow Hawk and might therefore have assisted
its recovery from very low levels of the 1960's and 70's.  Why should
the Collard Dove compete with your Mourning Dove.  Its is after all a
natural expansion.  I do not think you will regret its arrival.

Good birding
--
Chris Potts