Our trip to Charlotte

Dear All

On 8 February I posted a message on carolinabirds saying that we were
visiting Charlotte and asking for information about your birds and
birding.  We had many replies with advice and offers of help.  Our
holiday is now over and we have brought back nothing but good memories
of your two states and we found you to be very open and friendly people.

We had no knowledge at all of American birds when we started, so even
your most familiar ones were new and exciting to us and so we had a very
steep learning curve.  In all we saw 107 different species which I have
listed below with details of where and when we saw them.

1. Red-throated Loon  3 March from the Ocracoke - Cedar Island ferry.
2. Common Loon  2 March and then commonly on the sea off the Outer
Banks, and one inland on 5 March at Greensboro.
3. Horned Grebe 3 March on Hatteras  Island
4. Pied-billed Grebe 23 February on Lake Lure, and several other times
Charlotte and along the Outer Banks and at Greensboro
5. Northern Gannet 2 March and then commonly on the sea off the
Outer Banks
6. Brown Pelican  20 February at Savannah and then commonly along the
Outer Banks
7. Double-crested Cormorant 20 February at Savannah and the abundantly
along the Outer Banks
8. American Bittern 2 March on the side of US12 on Ocracoke Island
9. Tricolored Heron 4 March at the point of Cape Fear
10. Little Blue Heron 20 February at Savannah
11. Cattle Egret 20 February at Savannah
12. Snowy Egret 20 February at Savannah and then several times along the
Outer Banks
13. Great Egret 20 February at Savannah and the several times along the
Outer Banks
14. Great Blue Heron 20 February at Savannah and the many times in
Charlotte, along the Outer Banks and at Greensboro
15. White Ibis 29 February on Roanoke Island and the several times along
the Outer Banks including a Flock of about 30 on Cape Fear
16. Tundra Swan 1 March several hundred at Pea Island Reserve
17. Canada Goose 1 March at Pea Island and the commonly along the outer
Banks and at Greensboro
18. Wood Duck 5 March at Greensboro
19. Mallard 18 February at Charlotte and then commonly along the Outer
Banks and at Greensboro
20. American Black Duck 1 March at Pea Island and 5 March at Greensboro
21. Gadwall 1 March at Pea Island and then along the Outer Banks and at
Greensboro
22. Green Winged Teal 1 March at Pea Island and 5 March at Greensboro
23. American Wigeon 1 March at Pea Island
24. Northern Pintail 1 March at Pea Island
25. Northern Shoveler 1 March at Pea Island
26. Canvas Back 1 March on Hatteras Island
27. Ring-necked Duck 5 March at Greensboro
28. Lesser Scaup 1 March at Pea Island and 5 March at Greensboro
29. Surf Scoter 29 February flock of about 50 flying off Hatteras Island
30. Bufflehead 29 February off Roanoke Island and the commonly along the
Outer Banks and at Greensboro
31. Red-breasted Merganser 29 February on the sea off Hatteras Island
and then commonly along the Outer Banks
32. Hooded Merganser 20 February at Savannah 29 February off Roanoke
Island
33. Ruddy Duck 1 March at Pea Island
34. Turkey Vulture 19 February on the way to Savannah and then commonly
35. Black Vulture 20 February at Savannah and 5 March at Greensboro
36. Osprey 4 March at Cape Fear
37. Northern Harrier 29 February Roanoke Island and the several times
along the Outer Banks
38. Sharp-shinned Hawk 5 March at Greensboro
39. Cooper's Hawk 23 February at Lake Lure
40. Red-shouldered Hawk 2 March at Frisco
41. Red-tailed Hawk 20 February at Savannah and then commonly
42. American Kestrel 29 February on Hatteras Island and then several
times along the Outer Banks
43. Merlin 1 March on Hatteras Island
44. (Peregrine Falcon) 1 March on Hatteras Island (a very unsatisfactory
view at long distance)
45. Wild Turkey 27 February a group of seven crossed the Blue Ridge
Parkway as we drove along
46. American Coot 23 February on Lake Lure and then several times along
the Outer Banks and at Greensboro
47. Killdeer 20 February at Savannah and then several times along the
Outer Banks
48. American Oystercatcher 1 March at Pea Island and then several times
along the Outer Banks
49. American Avocet 1 March at Pea Island
50. Willet 1 March on Hatteras Island and then several times along the
Outer Banks
51. Greater Yellowlegs 1 March on Hatteras Island
52. Lesser Yellowlegs 1 March on Hatteras Island
53. Ruddy Turnstone 1 March on Hatteras Island
54. Sanderling 29 February on Hatteras Island and then several times
along the Outer Banks
55. Common Snipe 5 March at Greensboro (six individuals)
56. Laughing Gull 1 March at Hatteras Island and the commonly along the
Outer Banks
57. (Bonaparte's Gull) 4 March at Cape Fear (a very unsatisfactory view
flying over the sea)
58. Ring-billed Gull 20 February at Savannah and the commonly along the
outer banks and at Greensboro
59. Herring Gull 29 February on Roanoke Island and the commonly along
the Outer Banks
60. Lesser Black-backed Gull 2 March on Ocracoke Island
61. Great Black-backed Gull 29 February on Roanoke Island and then
commonly along the Outer Banks
62. Royal Tern 2 March on Ocracoke Island
63. Caspian Tern 20 February at Savannah
64. Forster's Tern 4 March at Cape Fear
65. Rock Dove 18 February in Charlotte and then commonly
66. Mourning Dove 18 February at Latta forest and the commonly
67. Calliope Hummingbird 21 February at Greer
68. Belted Kingfisher 2 March on Ocracoke Island
69. Red-bellied Woodpecker 21 February at Greer and then several times
in Charlotte
70. Downy Woodpecker 21 February at Greer 5 March at Greensboro
71. Hairy Woodpecker 23 February at Hanging Rock
72. Pileated Woodpecker 23 February at Hanging Rock and the several
times
73. Eastern Phoebe 29 February on Hatteras Island
74. Blue Jay 18 February in Charlotte and then commonly
76. American Crow 21 February at Greer and then commonly
77. Fish Crow 10 February at Savannah and then several times along the
Outer Banks
78. Common Raven 26 February at the top of Mount Mitchell
79. Tufted Titmouse 18 February at Latta forest and then commonly
80. Carolina Chickadee 18 February at Latta forest and the commonly
81. White-breasted Nuthatch 18 February at Latta forest
82. Red-breasted Nuthatch 1 March at Frisco
83. Brown-headed Nuthatch 22 February at Charlotte 5 March at Greensboro
84. Carolina Wren 2 March at Frisco (heard) 5 March at Greensboro
85. Ruby-crowned Kinglet 21 February at Greer
86. Eastern Bluebird 18 February at Latta forest and the commonly
87. American Robin 18 February at Charlotte and the commonly
88. (Gray Catbird) 1 March at Pea Island (heard the call and had a
fleeting glimpse)
89. Northern Mockingbird 19 February in Charlotte and then commonly
90. Brown Thrasher 21 February at Greer and then several times in
Charlotte
91. European Starling 18 February in Charlotte and then commonly
92. Cedar Waxwing 2 March at Frisco
93. Yellow-rumped Warbler 20 February at Savannah and then commonly
94. Prairie Warbler 18 February at Latta forest
96. Pine Warbler 5 March at Greensboro
97. Eastern Towee 21 February at Greer and then several times along the
Outer Banks and at Greensboro
98. Song Sparrow 23 February at Lake Lure and then several times along
the Outer Banks and at Greensboro
99. White-throated Sparrow 18 February at Latta forest and then commonly
100. Dark-eyed Junco 24 February at Chimney Rock and then commonly along
the Parkway and at Greensboro
101. Northern Cardinal 18 February at Latta forest and then commonly
102. Eastern Meadowlark 1 March at Pea Island 5 March at Greensboro
103. Red-winged Blackbird 20 February at Savannah, several times along
the Outer Banks and at Greensboro
104. Common Grackle 22 February at Charlotte and then commonly
105. Boat-tailed Grackle 20 February at Savannah and then commonly along
the Outer Banks
106. House Finch 18 February at Latta forest and then commonly
107. House Sparrow 19 February on the way to Savannah and then commonly.

If we had to pick out one highlight I think it would have to be the
Calliope Hummingbird. It was the first Hummingbird either of us had
seen.  Seeing both Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs (as well as a Willet)
in Neal Moore's 'scope at the same time would come a close second as
would being no more than two yards from the American Bittern.

We enjoyed every minute of our holiday and would again thank all of you
who offered advice and those who gave us practical help.  And I suppose
thanks to everyone who we met in the Carolinas for be so hospitable and
for making us feel so welcome.

Lastly thanks to John Fussell for writing his book on birding on the
Outer Banks, it is a mine of information, and very easy to read.

If any of you are thinking of visiting this side of the ocean and would
like advice on where to go birding, we live about half way up the East
side of England on the South bank of the River Humber and we would be
very pleased to help.
--
Chris & Mavis Potts