LeConte's Sparrow

Friday, March 24, 2000. Raven Rock State Park, Harnett County, NC

Early this afternoon, I saw a LeConte's Sparrow in a broomsedge dominated
field behind my residence.  Later in the afternoon, I was able to relocate
the bird for my wife.  She and I, along with our 4 year old twin sons were
able to view the bird at close range as it sat in a Sweet Gum sprout about a
foot off the ground.  We had to flush and chase the bird down several times
before it perched for us.  This is the second record of a LeConte's at Raven
Rock (that I know of).  I saw one in the same field in about October of 1992
or so.

As I was taking my sons to daycare this morning, Patrick said, "There's a
Great Blue Heron...no it's an eagle."  I saw the bird that he was referring
to and I corrected him that it was an Osprey.  He said, "Oh that's right,
Opsreys have white bellies."  I must say, he seems to be getting his field
marks down, even at the age of four!

Paul C. Hart
Lillington, NC
harttwins@aol.com