Re: Fish crows nesting in So. Durham?

Sandy and all:

No, it is not at all unusual to have Fish Crows in your area.  As long as
there is some sort of water nearby, they could be expected in any part of
the Piedmont.  I expect you are right that they are building close by.  My
experiences last year down here are that they gather material only very
near the nest (within 100 yds. or so).  They started nest-building about
now too.  Try to follow them to their destination on a few trips.  I say
this because otherwise you will not be able to find the nest (until perhaps
when the nestlings begin audible begging).  For a relatively big bird that
uses the tops of mature pines, the nests are virtually invisible from the
ground.  I find that at only one angle can you see a portion of the nest.
The nests are not large and bulky, as you might expect either. They appear
just big enough to hold the nestlings and one adult.

If you do find where they are building, please let me know.  I am curious
how it would compare what I have found is true of Fish Crows in the
Sandhills.   Also, please keep track of their activity.  We have very few
documented nesting records in NC.

Susan M. Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC

ncaves@utinet.net