Re: chickadee nest

*********

Carolina Chickadees that get an early start--and they frequently
do--have been known to double-brood during a given nesting season. It
is not clear, however, whether they will use the same nest.

Generally speaking, I think it's best to remove nests from boxes as
soon as the nestlings fledge, although some authorities say
otherwise. I agree with other postings that say removing used nests
also gets rid of nest parasites such as feather lice, mites, and
blowflies.

Happy Birding,

BILL

***********

>On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, McAbee, Tracy J wrote:
>  > Speaking of nesting...I have chickadees nesting in one of my bluebird boxes
>  > I am wondering, when the chickadees' fledge should I clean out the nest or
>  > will they use it again (this season)?
>
>From what I have read, chickadees have only one brood per season.  After
>you clean out the nestbox, maybe bluebirds will use it this season.
>
>Yours, Barry
>
>  > Tracy McAbee-Pheneger
>  > Durham, NC
>  >
>  >

**********

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
1432 DeVinney Road
York, South Carolina 29745
USA

e-mail: <hilton@hiltonpond.org>

Voice: (803) 684-5852

eFax: (503) 218-0845

Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is a 501(c)(3)
non-profit research and education organization, so all in-kind or
monetary gifts to Operation RubyThroat and the Center are
tax-deductible. Please visit our websites:

Hilton Pond:  <http://www.hiltonpond.org>

Operation RubyThroat:  <http://www.rubythroat.org>

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."

						BHjr.