Buncombe County/Lake Julian

Folks,
        Bob Olthoff and I stopped by Lake Julian about 2:20 PM this date in
hopes of seeing the Forster's Terns reported by Marilyn Wesphal on Thursday.
We had no luck with the Forster's, but Bob spotted a large tern, that we
both agree was a CASPIAN TERN.  The bird was very large,  and had a very
gull like flight.  We observed the bird for about 1-1 1/2 minutes until it
flew out of sight. The bird was very white, had a prominant black cap, and a
large red/orange bill.  The top of the birds back and wings appeared
uniformly white/light gray and the underside of the bird was light as well,
with the exception of primaries, which appeared to be very dark gray or
black.  The bird had a moderately forked tail.

Regards,

Wayne K. Forsythe
245 Stonebrook Drive
Hendersonville, N.C. 28791