Nesting report

Nesting activity in and around my yard in NE Johnston Co., NC so far:

15 eggs hatched in one of my wood duck boxes;

Bluebirds with five eggs in the same box in which they have raised two
or more broods each of the last three years;

Carolina chickadees in the box I put up in the pond for prothonatories;

Brownheaded nuthatches in a dead sweetgum snag on the edge of the pond;

A large black rat snake in the screech owl box I put up in a large
loblolly in my woodlot- it evidently took care of the starlings that had
usurped it.

Take care,

Clyde Sorenson
NCSU Dept. of Entomology