Re: Birding at Congaree Creek HP, SC

CarolinaBirders,

I have gotten a question as to where the heck is Congaree Creek Heritage
Preserve.

The Congaree Creek HP is open to the public.  The trick is finding it.

The trail we were working on is off of Old State Road.  Go to the first exit
off of I-77 west of  the Congaree River, Exit 2, and go north on the new
12th Street Extension.  Follow this to its current end, where you must curve
around to the right.  This will reach a T-junction with New State Road.
Turn right onto New State Road.  Follow this to Old State Road.  (Loof for
the brown sign for Congaree River access).  Follow Old State Road south.
You will pass the turnoff of the Cayse boat landing, then pass the Cayse
sewage treatment plant on your left.  Keep going.  Very shortly after the
end of the pavement the Heritage Preserve begins on your right.  Look for an
indistinct trail into the woods to your right, marked with blue flagging
tape.  This is NOT the old logging road which is just south of the pine
plantation, but is just a few yards south of this old road.  If you get to
the bridge over Congaree Creek you have gone too far.

Once you find the trail, follow it into the woods.  When you get to the
first big pond (which has alligators, by the way), the trail splits.  Go to
the right.  The trail goes about a mile into the woods.  It is OVERRUN with
poison ivy!  Good birds could be anywhere.  Good luck.  If you go in here
birding, please send me a day list.  I include this area in my 3 Rivers
Checklist.  Thanks.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
803-782-8820