Birding at Congaree Creek HP, SC

Hi CarolinaBirders,

Yesterday (Sunday, 16 April 2000) Steve Dennis and I were among a dozen or
so volunteers working on trails in the new Congaree Creek Heritage Preserve,
Cayse, SC, just across the Congaree River from Columbia.  While we worked we
listened to a great bird chorus, and got a pretty good list (mostly heard
only).  The best bird was a Cerulean Warbler, heard singing by both Steve
and me, and seen (without binoculars, however) by Steve.  It's interesting
that this is about the same area from which Glen Englehardt reported a
Cerulean Warbler in June a few years ago.  Do we have an undiscovered
population along the Congaree River?  Probably not, but I will go back and
look again as soon as I can.

Here is our list:

Wood Duck -- 2
Killdeer -- 1