Warblers in the Mountains

For those of you farther up the mountain chain, just thought I'd give you an
update on what's made it to the southern end of the Blue Ridge.  So far (in
check list order) Orange-crowned, Northern Parula, Yellow, Black-throated Blue,
Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Green, Blackburnian, Yellow-throated, Pine,
Prairie, Palm, Cerulean, Black and White, A. Redstart, Worm-eating, Ovenbird,
La. Waterthrush, Common Yellowthroat, and Hooded.  I haven't yet been to any of
our usual Golden-winged spots, but from a recent posting I would assume that
they are back, too.  (For the person who saw the Golden-winged at Stecoah Gap,
Blue-winged usually arrive a little later - last week of April or first week of
May).  Vireo-wise we have White-eyed, Blue-headed, Yellow-throated, Warbling,
and Red-eyed already here.  Other nice forest birds that have recently arrived
are Wood Thrush and Scarlet Tanager.
	Some of these birds are just starting to come in, so there are not big
numbers yet and some are here big-time.  We'll be checking a Swainson's Warbler
spot this weekend to see if they are back yet.  Still lots more expected to
arrive in the next couple of weeks.  They should be at a peak by the time of
the CBC meeting at Blowing Rock.  The high elevation birds and the birds
heading to northern U.S. and Canada generally arrive in late April and early
May.  There should be some very good birding by May 5th.
Love those warblers - Marilyn Westphal/Hendersonville, NC
 		      email:  mjwestphal@unca.edu