Spring Break - SC Coast

We spent our spring break week on and near the SC coast last week
(Edisto Is. etc).  Our total was 125 species with most of them being
the same as reported by others at the WMAs, Caw Caw Interp. Center,
etc.  Migration seemed slow until Thursday, the 22nd when large
flocks of Godwits flew into the tidal marshes in the evening and out
in the morning in groups of 5 - 30 heading up the coast into the
wind.  Friday's wind also grounded a  flock of 75 Black Skimmers for
some close looks.

Generally the weather was too good for migrant fallouts that near the
coast.  Here are some of our better birds and locations.

Kentucky Warbler  - heard - Caw Caw Interp. Center
Mississippi Kite, Swallow Tailed Kite, Bald Eagle in the air at the
same time at Caw Caw.
Wilsons Plover  - Edisto Island
Long Billed Dowitcher - Donnely WMA (fresh water catchment)
Red Knot  - Donnely WMA

Summer Tanagers just everywhere in coastal woods.

We also found out that Caw Caw was named for the rice plantation that
was once there and the name goes back 150 years or so.  It is just
opened in January, costs $4 for adults, $2 for oldsters.

Tim Lewis & Lori Unruh
Weaverville, NC