CBC meeting and BRP closing

The Raleigh News and Observer carried a note about an 11-mile stretch of
the Blue Ridge Parkway closing, beginning May 1, for two years. The
bridge over US 421 (near Deep Gap) is being rebuilt to accomodate the
new 4 lanes of traffic for US 421. That means that one or both Cerulean
Warbler sites might be blocked from birders at the CBC meeting on May
5-7. This will certainly be an inconvenience, as one or more trips
planned to cover this portion of the BRP.

I assume we travellers from downstate coming to Boone and Blowing Rock
via US 421 will travel beneath the BRP and can go either to Boone and
then down US 221-321, or once they pass beneath the BRP, can cut down to
the BRP in a few miles, near the Rest Area.  (Yes, US 221, 321, and 421
converge in Boone -- very confusing).

Hope CBC-ers planning the field trips take this road construction into
consideration, as some trips may need to be revised, etc.

Harry LeGrand

--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program