purple martin behavior

This weekend there was a small flock of purple martins wheeling over the
lake.  The birds repeatedly flew low over the water and literally hit the
water with their breasts.  You could see the water splash up around them.
Anyone know why the birds were doing this?

The birds are probably nesting in the area.  Several went down onto a mud
flat and picked up something.  One picked up a short stick.  Then another
martin harassed it in flight until the stick was dropped.

Looks like we'll have to invest in a new martin house.  Several hurricanes
have severely battered  the one we had. It resides in pieces on the ground
now.  Martins never did come to visit.

Sue Pulsipher
Linden, NC
puls@fayettevillenc.com