warbler waves continued

Like other lucky C-birders, I was fortunate enough to find a really
electrifying list of warblers and other migrants in the past three days.
The list is so long, I present only the biggest of the highlights:

Saturday, 4/29 - Lower Saluda Spring Count

Our territory was the northeast sector of the count circle, somewhat "home
turf" for me in Northern Richland county (mostly).  Our count territory
included the Columbia International University (CIU) and we found some
excellent birds there.  Highlights (some migrants, some just surprises, some
just dumb luck!) below:

Bald Eagle
Broad-winged Hawks
Wild Turkey
Spotted Sandpiper
Lesser Yellowlegs
Swainson's Thrush (CIU)
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler (CIU)
American Redstart (7!) (CIU)
Worm-eating Warbler (we watched this guy feed at eye-level for ten minutes!
- CIU)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (CIU)
White-throated Sparrow
Orchard Oriole (an enthusiastic immature male singing at the top of his
lungs - CIU)

We ended the day with 79 species.

Sunday, April 30

A quick walk through the creekbottom found:

Worm-eating Warbler (the spring of the Worm-eating Warbler continues - this
was my fourth Worm-eating Warbler in 15 days!)
Blue-winged Warbler (2! singing birds)
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Acadian Flycatchers (appearing suddenly overnight in good numbers)
Yellow-breasted Chat

I also found that the Prothonotaries are still in the creekbottom.  After
five years of wondering why the creekbottom did not host Prothonotaries when
it looks like good habitat for a Prothonotary, this spring the
Prothonotaries are in the creekbottom in numbers rivalling the Kentucky
Warblers.  On a walk two weeks ago, I found five singing Prothonotaries in
the bottom (along with is less than a quarter of a mile of road).  Maybe
they will stay to nest?

Among the usual nesters in the bottom:

Common Yellowthroat
Louisiana Waterthrush
Hooded Warbler
Northern Parula
Great Crested Flycatcher
Summer Tanager

In the afternoon, singing just outside the back door:

Philadelphia Vireo

On the feeder:

Rose-breasted Grosbeak - two splendid males!

Monday, May 1

Today while sitting outside soaking up some warmth at lunch:

Magnolia Warbler

On the feeder this afternoon:

Rose-breasted Grosbeaks - *three* splendid males!

As you might imagine, I am eagerly awaiting tomorrow to see what it brings!

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
    "Columbia Audubon Society"