Pickens County Big Day

On May 3, Bob Wood and I found 112 species in Pickens County.  It was an
effort which carried a detailed option for turning into a full state big day
if certain minimum numbers of birds were found by 10:00.  Our 10:00 total was
too low to justify the mad dash to the coast, so we enjoyed a leisurely
gathering of birds in Pickens County the rest of the day.

We were pleased with the result, which included 6 sandpiper species,
excellent looks at a Gray-cheeked Thrush, and 22 species of warbler.  Our
total shared species count (for those familiar with ABA big day standards)
was 107 (95.5%).   We found American Woodcocks displaying, which seemed late
for SC; that is a sight/sound I am used to in mid-December.  And we watched
Dark-eyed Juncos feeding a fledgling on Sassafrass Mountain.

I hope everyone has a great time at the Carolina Bird Club meeting.

Steve Patterson
Pickens, SC
SCBirder@aol.com