Changing scene

     My wife was out of town this week, so I arranged my schedule to
include some evening birding in addition to my regular morning sessions.
Hitting my regular spots more than once on the same day pointed up the
changing seasons.
     The warblers that were so evident last Saturday and Sunday have
disappeared.  The yellow-rumps have disappeared as well.  I did find a solo
yellow warbler on May 4 but I was unable to relocate it either yesterday
evening or this morning.
     The rose-breasted grosbeaks that showed up at my feeders on April 26
hung around through May 3.  I saw one on the edge of the King's Grant golf
course early on the 4th and none since.
     The sandpipers that were so plentiful last weekend have also moved on.
After finding, on April 28-29, solitary, spotted, least, and a few
semipalmated, my luck ran out.  I did see a spotted on May 2 and a single
least on May 3, but they were the last.
     On the plus side, a female ruby-throated hummingbird showed up in my
yard on May 3 and came back the next day.  I also saw one on campus
yesterday evening.
     Finding the solo yellow warbler was a real plus for me--the first I
had seen since I started keeping a bird list.  In the early 80s I made
several fising trips to the Catskills in May and June.  I have never
forgotten seeing the multitude of yellow warblers in the willows that line
Junction Pool where the Beaverkill and Willowemoc join.  I'm glad to be
able to include yellow warbler in my list.

Bob

Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu