Re: Roseate Tern ID

Harry.LeGrand@ncmail.net writes:

<< The mystery tern off SC could well have been a Roseate Tern, though one
 mark is bothersome. Yes, they have a black bill, and yes they have a
 very long tail, and yes, they are very white. But, they are a delicate
 bird, slightly smaller in body size than Forster's and Common. I doubt
 either was around for comparison, however. Thus, could you really judge
 the size?  Was Sandwich Tern completely ruled out (could you be sure
 there was no yellow tip or a shaggy crest)? >>

Mr. LeGrand
I find your caution well justified on such an uncommon bird sighting.  I envy
the great number of seabirds that you folk in the Carolinas get to observe
and study.  I hope to get to bird more with the fine birders on the Outer
Banks next winter.  Good luck and God Bless.
Bob Sargent
Trussville, Alabama
Rubythroat@AOL.COM