Jordan Lake, NC sightings

The trick on the Jordan Spring Count is to beat the early fishing boats to the little inlets.  We succeeded this year on Little Beaver Creek, on the east side of the lake, south of Hwy 64.  At dawn, the trees on the south-east side of the creek were full of roosting cormorants.  We counted a minimum of 260.  The four Great Egrets I spotted while scouting on Friday were still there, too.  Joined by a fifth egret, they flew away to the north.  Then we spotted two osprey nests with two adults parked on one nest and two adults soaring above the other.

With warblers and vireos serenading us, it was a lovely  dawn for the birders on Little Beaver.
-----
Claudia Egelhoff
"Share a Story"
Audio and video biographies for individuals, families and organizations
Raleigh, North Carolina
Get free personalized email from USA.com at http://mail.usa.com