Catawba Co. NAMC Results

We had 12 folks help out in the 3rd annual Catawba County North American
Migration Count yesterday(May 13th).  The unofficial species total is 94.
That is the lowest total we have had for the count.  The heat may have had
something to do with the low total and the fact that the count fell almost a
week later than last year's count.  The highlights were finding 6 Loggerhead
Shrikes in 3 different spots including 2 adults feeding 2 fledglings.  We
also found an Osprey nest in Catawba County!!  It is on Lake Norman at the
Hwy. 150 bridge on the Catawba Co. side on top of a metal box of some sort.
We only had 10 species of warblers and most of those were breeders.  We did
get one of the E. Collard Doves in Conover.  The big misses for the day were
Hairy Woodpecker (we only had one Downy), Red-headed Woodpecker, White-eyed
Vireo, Prothonotary Warbler, L. Waterthrush, and no water fowl other than
Mallards and a Pied-billed Grebe.  Maybe next year will be better!!

Dwayne & Lori Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Claremont, NC
dlmartin@twave.net