nighthawk heard

I'm rarely in areas where Common Nighthawks are common.  So today was
special.  Before light I heard one in Moore County, and then this evening
another flew over my home in Cumberland County.

Migration day count highlights for me were :

---lovely views of a Yellow-billed Cuckoo.  The bird preened, scratched,
yawned and vocalized.  Yellow bill very visible.
--- 3 juvenile killdeer watched over by parent  (With at least 5 crows
loafing at the other end of the lake and a Canada Goose waddling by the
parent killdeer had plenty to be watchful about.)
--- good numbers on Wood Thrush.  Perhaps because I drove the forested roads
early in the morning.

Sue Pulsipher
Linden, NC
puls@fayettevillenc.com