New Yard Species

    Yesterday I saw the first American Kestrel I have seen from the yard in
at least 4 years hovering over the treetops. I asked my 14 year old son to
keep an eye on it, while I stepped inside to retrieve my binoculars. When I
returned in less than 30 seconds, it had disappeared behind some trees to the
north. However, as I was looking skyward, a Barn Swallow flew overhead headed
east to west, the first I have seen from this yard for yard bird species #124.
     This morning, as I was putting out mealworms, I saw a sandpiper flitting
over the surface of the creek in the back. It landed in my neighbor's lawn
next to the creek and began foraging in the grass bobbing its rear end up and
down- a Spotted Sandpiper. In fact there were two Spotted Sandpipers foraging
in the grass next to the creek for species #125 and (I believe) a new order
of birds for the yard.

Steve Tracy
Gastonia, NC