Alligator at Alligator River NWR

I wanted to get out a quick message to everyone on Carolinabirds.  The
alligator that has been seen the past two years along Hwy. 64 in Alligator
River NWR (Dare County, NC) has returned.  The alligator is located east of
the Creef Cut/Kuralt Trail parking lot in the canal on the north side of
the highway.  If you decide to stop and look at the alligator, please
follow these guidelines:  1)  Do everything within your power not to impede
the traffic along Hwy 64.  This includes pulling all the way off the road,
not darting out in front of oncoming cars(either on foot or when you merge
back onto the highway), and not parking on the north side of the highway
where the guard rail is located.  2)  Please do not attempt to feed the
alligator or throw things at it to make it move to get "a better picture".
Seeing an alligator at the northern extent of its range in northeastern NC
is a treat.  I hope that everyone has a safe and fun Memorial Day weekend
and enjoys any time spent on Alligator River NWR!

Sincerely,

Brian Van Druten
Biological Technician
Alligator River NWR