Re: Salvia, Re: Siskin, and Re: Song Sparrow

Email from Joshua Stuart Rose (2000-05-29 16:18 -0400) :
> I think that Brown-headed Cowbirds have been recorded parasitizing Song
> Sparrows, but not often.

Actually, Song Sparrows are one of the species most commonly parasitized
by cowbirds.  The _Atlas of the breeding birds of Tennessee_ cites a
study which has shown that approximately 30% of all Song Sparrow nests
are parasitized by Brown-headed Cowbird (Freidmann et al., 1977, Smithson.
Contr. Zoo.).

Personally, that and cardinal are the species I most often see feeding
baby cowbirds --- though the fact that they bring them to the feeder no
doubt helps.  The first brood seems to be the most susceptible.

K. Dean Edwards
Ph.D. Candidate, Mechanical Engineering
University of Tennessee, Knoxville

kde@utk.edu