Cape Point Observations

Cape Point, near Buxton, Dare Co., NC provided some interesting
observations during the afternoon of Tuesday, 6 June.

With an easterly wind at 2:30 PM, we noted about 20 Wilson's Storm
Petrels foraging over the surf, with some venturing over the sand of the
Point. By 3:00 PM, heavy rain had moved in from the west, followed by a
quick shift to westerly winds. This weather did not alter the storm
petrel behavior.

Filtered sun from behind us gave excellent views of an adult Black Tern
flying north at about 100 yds. along the east beach.

While watching two Ospreys hunting directly over the Point, I noticed an
immature Magnificent Frigatebird suspended at 150-200 ft. It remained in
view for 30 minutes, once coming overland directly above us.
Unfortunately, only a few bored surf fishermen were around and we could
find no kindred spirits with which to share this visitor from the south.

As we left the beach, one of the Wilson's Storm Petrels flew overland,
touched extended feet on the sand, and appeared to pluck something from
the wet sand. This has to be an unusual event!

Wayne & Fran Irvin
ephstop@mindspring.com
145 Riding Lane
Southern Pines, NC