Blue Ridge Parkway birds

     My wife and I had a pretty good trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway.  We
saw lots of tourists and relatively few birds, but those few included some
good ones.  There are lots of wood ducks at Bass Lake in Moses H. Cone
Memorial Park.  We saw two drakes and four or five hens with ducklings.  A
d-c cormorant was enjoying the fishing at Bass Lake as well.  We saw plenty
of common ravens at Grandfather Mountain and Mt. Mitchell.  The only other
identifiable bird at Grandfather Mt. was a singing blue grosbeak well down
from the top.  We found a Louisiana waterthrush on Linville River above the
upper falls.   At two places on the parkway we ran across a male
chestnut-sided warbler.  We also found a singing indigo bunting and a
yellow-breasted chat at Grandview Overlook

Bob

Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu