Snapper takes Adult Mute Swan

Dear Birders,

I just watched a snapping turtle kill a full grown mute swan.
The snapper grabbed him by the head as the swan was foraging in shallow
water.
The snapper held on until the swan was drowned.

Last summer we lost another mute swan (probably) to a snapper.

On a happier note I saw a mother wood duck yesterday with seven chicks.
Perhaps the swan will keep the turtles satisfied.
A mature mute swan must be worth at least 500 woodduck chicks...

The heron chicks are still in the nest but I'm sure they'll be departing any
day.

John Argentati
Greenview Pond
Raleigh, NC