re: empty hummer feeder

Another possible reason for empty humming bird feeder is the barometric
pressure.
We have 3 feeders hanging around the yard.  Normally they are filled every
4-5 days due to hot weather. I only put less than a quarter cup in each
feeder since we clean and add new food frequently.  I noticed one morning
after putting the 1/4 cup in each .....that all 3 were empty.  Shortly after
I saw the food was now up in the transparent neck of the feeder. A quarter of
a cup at best only shows maybe one inch to 1 and a half inch in the neck.  I
finally realized that high atmospheric pressure was causing the liquid to
show in the container and low pressure was letting it drop down into the
solid neck and unseen.  Needless to say it was a relief to find out what
happened to the disappearing and later reappearing food.

Just like the older glass barometers with colored water. It was forecasting
the weather!

Jim Bardsley
Murrells Inlet, SC