Magnolia Warbler at Roan Mtn

Thanks to Allan Trently, seasonal biologist for Southern Appalachian
Highlands Conservancy, I heard and saw a male Magnolia Warbler this morning
at Roan Mountain -- in North Carolina.  The site was the west corner of the
Cloudland parking lot.  The bird was singing as if on territory.

Allan plans to return to search for evidence of nesting.  I'll find a way
to get the results of his efforts.  He's not on-line this summer.

To reach the site from Carver's Gap -- go toward the Rhododendron Garden
but turn right into the parking lot adjoining the old Cloudland Hotel
location.  The bird was hanging out in thecorner to your left just after
you enter the lot.

We also heard there a Hermit Thrush, and heard a second one (also in NC)
along the road to Carver's Gap.  Other (mostly heard) birds included Alder
Flycatcher (at Carver's Gap across the fence from the gravel parking area
-- possibly in Tennessee), Winter Wren (many), Veery (many), Golden-crowned
Kinglet (many), Red-breasted Nuthatch (3-4), and Brown Creeper (1).

Allan said he had seen and heard a Yellow-rumped Warbler at the gap
recently, on the Tennessee side.

Len Pardue, Asheville, NC