Duke Forest bushhogging

I visited the Duke Forest tract off Old Hwy 86 today.  The successional
meadow at the end of the fire road has been bushhogged very recently.  I'm
dismayed that people who should presumably be good conservationists would do
that kind of work at the height of bird breeding season.  Does anyone on
cbirds know anything about it?  I plan to call the Duke Forest number next
week; is there anyone in particular I should try to speak with?

Janine Perlman
Hillsborough, NC