Re: (fwd) Albino Cardinal Found In Columbia, SC

I am curious. The article said that Chimney Swifts are endangered. Are
they? I see them most days, but certainly there seem to be fewer than
years ago.
On another topic.
My wife and I went to a place on the Parkway for the weekend, Glendale
Springs in Ashe County. Not terribly sure of the elevation there, but
would suspect over 3000 ft. From some gliders on the back of the
Gathering Place (an inn) (glider swings, that is) we watched the
activities of birds in the Locust trees in the pasture below us. Hearing
Eastern Wood Peewees singing, we were able to spot them with binos, and
saw one tiny flycatcher with eyerings and wingbars, maybe about the size
of a vireo. We looked through Stokes and Peterson, and from habitat,
figured it had to be a Least. It was open, in a pasture, near a pond, and
the small fellow was in the locust tree on the level with the Peewee. We
identified it from habitat, as it did not sing. No willows or boggy areas
about, and the Willow Flycatchers I have seen in the past were working
near the ground. Any feedback from the group would be appreciated, as it
is a life bird for me.
Also, while watching this, we saw a bird on a wire, and both focussing on
it, saw a bird colored all over with a sort of raspberry color. There was
no striping as in a House Finch. I have seen Purples in winter at
feeders. It sang a snatch of song, and though it was similar to HF song,
it was decidedly different. We both agreed it was a Purple Finch, but
they are not supposed to be that far south this time of year, (I think).
Also feedback on this would be appreciated.
Alex Netherton
The Appalachian Naturalist (danetherton@juno.com)
Asheville, NC
http://www.appalachian-naturalist.com
Featuring forums, lists, and classes in the field.