Hawks

Hi.
Have been seeing hawks recently. We were out towards the Smokies Sunday,
and coming back by Lake Junaluska, had an Osprey fly over the car. I know
they are not native to the area, according to some local "authorities".
Curious.....
I was in Spindale last week at the Wal-Mart, and saw what I took to be a
fledgeling Red Tailed Hawk, sitting on top of an electric tower, and
screaming his head off. Sounded like a gull fussing to me. Would call and
fly around, and park again on the tower. Lost its parents maybe?
Was at Brevard Wal Mart today, and amongst the songs of Indigo's and
someone telling me to "drink your teaaaa", heard the "chickeee!" of (am I
right here? Have trouble with RSH and BWH) a Broad Winged Hawk. (Saw one
last week.) It was sounding very agitated, and was finally answered from
a distance away, and seemed to calm down. Have heard them all spring, so
there may have been a nest, and young possibly fledgeing.
Alex Netherton
The Appalachian Naturalist (danetherton@juno.com)
Asheville, NC
http://www.appalachian-naturalist.com
Featuring forums, lists, and classes in the field.