Re: still a five star establishment

Hi Beth,
The boiling of the water serves two purposes, it ensures the sugar completely
mixes with the water, and it kills any molds or fungi that might be in the water
or on the sugar.  This step is important if you plan to store the mixture for
any length of time.  If you make the mix and put it directly into the feeders
the boiling is really not necessary (molds and fungi are introduced to the stuff
almost immediately once you put it outside).  This is the reason why it is
recommended that any "old" mixture remaining in a feeder after a few days be
discarded and the feeder cleaned.  The boiling mainly ensures you are not
putting already moldy stuff out for your birds.

Best,
Steve Shultz (proud "owner" of at least 10 RTHU's as noted this a.m.!)
Cary, NC

Beth Wiley <bewiley@earthlink.net> on 07/26/2000 02:57:02 PM

Please respond to bewiley@earthlink.net