Re: Scruffy hummer

BETTY . . .

Some adult male Ruby-throated Hummingbirds (RTHUs)are going through a
"pre-migratory" molt at this time. I've banded or retrapped several
in the past week that indeed looked scruffy, particularly since they
were molting their facial feathers. This isn't unusual. (Young males,
who may not leave until late September or even early October, also
may be molting in a few red gorget feathers.)

I think the last week in July is a tad early yet for migration from
the Carolinas, although a few adult male RTHUs may be getting ready
to depart and get a head start on establishing a wintering territory
in Mexico or Central America. Within a week or two, however, adult
males will be bailing out in large numbers, and many will be gone by
mid-August.

Please keep looking for RTHU with green dye on their throats. :-)

Best wishes,

BILL

*****

--
**********

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
1432 DeVinney Road
York, South Carolina 29745
USA

e-mail: <hilton@hiltonpond.org>

Voice: (803) 684-5852

eFax: (503) 218-0845

Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is a 501(c)(3)
non-profit research and education organization, so all in-kind or
monetary gifts to Operation RubyThroat and the Center are
tax-deductible. Please visit our websites:

Hilton Pond:  <http://www.hiltonpond.org>

Operation RubyThroat:  <http://www.rubythroat.org>

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."

						BHjr.