Outer Banks Report

On 2 August, 2000, I was pleased to find 22 Piping Plovers at the south
end of Ocracoke Island as the tide peaked  between 9:00 & 10:00 AM. One
individual was color-banded.

On 3 August, 2000, the tidal flats at the north end of Portsmouth Island
was rewarding with 4 Reddish Egrets. At first I noted 1 adult and 2
smokey-gray immature birds lounging in the feeder channel between the 2
docks. After a robust squall moved through, a 4th immature appeared.
It's efforts to mingle with the threesome were rejected by the adult.
All four fed excitedly and canopied countless times.

Those who might wish to explore this area can get transportation to
Portsmouth Island in Ocracoke village with Rudy Austin at 252 928 4361
or 252 928 5431.

Wayne Irvin
ephstop@mindspring.com