fall '01 problem/help pls

Friends, Carroll Richard has run into a problem with arrangements for the
Santee, SC meeting in fall 2001.

The Ramada can provide a block of rooms and good meeting space, but refuses
to let us bring in food and drink for a social hour.  Their fee for coffee,
punch and cookies is $3 per person, plus tax and tip.  For 160 people,
that's almost $500 a night for socializing.

Options are few.  I'll run through them:

1.  Find another motel.  Not possible. The only other choice, the Holiday
Inn, is booked for that weekend.

2.  Find a place outside the motel for meetings.  Carroll is checking but
feels pessimistic.

3.  Cancel the social hours.  Ugh.  They're an important part of a club
meeting.

4.  Hold a social hour one night only.

5.  Hold two social hours, and maybe only break even on the meeting.

Carroll intends to sign a contract with the Ramada locking in the rooms and
meeting space, with the option of adding the social hour later.  She'll
keep looking for alternative meeting space.

If she can't find it, we'll probably face this issue at the board retreat.

Meantime, if you have any bright ideas, please call Carroll (803/943-4661).

Thanks.

Len