Monroe, NC

I was out in our canoe, and as I rounded the bend and headed toward the
narrow stream that heads into Lake Twitty, we saw five "birds" trying to
swim and fly at the same time, to the other side of the creek.  They could
not get into the air and used their wings like flappers on top of the
water.  They ran up the other side of the bank and under the trees.

We have seen Bobwhite in the area, and these resembled them, but I am not
familiar with them being in the water.