Fw: Inland Shorbirding (a question)

Hello C-Birders,

Paul Champlin will not be surprised to find out that all three of  the types
of areas he mentions as good for inland shorebirding in Massachusetts are
also good in South Carolina -- sod farms, dairy farms, and river sand bars.
Also good are airports and sewage lagoons.

The sod farms in Orangeburg County, especially those along US 301 both east
and west of I-26 (see Delorme atlas, p. 46, G-1 and G-2) have produced over
30 species of shore birds in the last decade or so. Other sod farms, such as
those at Bucksport (Delorme, p. 50, D-1), Blackville (Delorme p. 52, A-5),
and Ridgeland (Delorme p. 58, G-3) have produced a few shorebirds from time
to time.

Dairy farms can be great.  The best known for shorebirds are probably those
near Townville on Fred Dobbins Road (  Delorme p. 22, E-5), but I have also
had good finds, such as Buff-breasted Sandpiper, at dairy farms along SC 210
and on side roads south of SC 210, about a mile southwest of Bowman
(Delorme, p. 54, A-2).

River sand bars can also be good.  Just about any of our Piedmont reservoirs
can have good shorebirding during the fall migration, if water levels are
not too high.  For example, check out the flats along Big Beaverdam Creek at
the upper end of Lake Hartwell, along Road 23 (Delorme p. 22, F-5) or the
Little River flats on Lake Thurmond (Delorme p. 33, F-6), or the upper end
of Lake Murray where SC 391 crosses (Delorme p. 35, D-6).

While we are talking about inland shorebirding let us not forget small
airports.  Several airports in South Carolina are easily birded from public
roads, without trespassing.  My favorites are those at Anderson (Delorme p.
23, F-7), Darlington (Delorme p. 30, G-1), and Aiken (Delorme p. 43, D-10).
Other airports are probably just as good or better.

Finally let us not forget the old standby, sewage lagoons or sewage
treatment plants (STP).  Two which come to find are those at Columbia
(Delorme p. 36, G-3; look for the smiley face on the chlorine tank as you
ride along I-77, get off of I-77 at SC 48, go one block towards the city,
turn left at the light and go towards Heathwood Hall School. After a half
mile or so turn left -- do not go into the school. You will soon reach the
STP.  Go sign in at the office and drive and walk to the old settling pond
way in the back of the property), and of course those at Georgetown (Delorme
p. 49, H-8, across the street from the animal shelter) and Hemingway
(Delorme p. 49, B-7, along Road 244).  There have been great birds reported
from the Horse Creek STP between North Augusta and Beech Island on US 278
(Delorme p. 43, G-7), but I have not birded there and I do not know if
access is readily obtainable.

Good shore birding,

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC