Clay-colored Sparrow in Reynolda Gardens

   Dear birdwatchers,

  This morning found me again at Reynolda Gardens, at my lucky spot in
the thickets looking for migrant warblers. Not one, whole morning. I
saw a typical frustrating/confusing  Empidonax flycatcher, and later a
Great-crested Flycatcher. Nice but, not especially extraordinary. Then
Fortuna smiled at me again. I spotted a beautiful Clay-colored Sparrow
on top of a pile of brush. I almost knew instantly what it was. This
bird was practically in full summer plumage. The most striking features
were the crisp head pattern including  snow-white mustachial and central
crown stripes, pink bill, unstreaked underparts and a rich ash-grey nape
patch. Then the bird hopped into the middle of the pile, and
disapperared. I could not see the rump at all. I went a little closer,
sat down on the ground, and waited for a couple minutes. The sparrow
appeared a couple minutes later and I had good close-up looks on the
face pattern, and the back, which appeared lighter, and not as rusty
brown as it is in the Chipping sparrow. Finally I got a glimpse of the
rump, there was no contrast with the back. Then it disappeared, then
came back one more time.

I understand, that this is really a rare, and unexpected bird this time
of the year, (and probably any time) but I am 100% sure of the ID. I saw
Brewer's sparrows with locals in southern California, and spent a lot of
time making sure what they were.  If anybody wished to relocate this
bird, I would be happy to go out to help.
I can be reached at 716-4367 or 748-0775 (lab or at home) this
afternoon. Late afternoon I think I am going back anyway.
Unfortunately, I did not meet any birdwatchers this time!

good birding

ferenc

Ferenc Domoki
Winston-Salem, NC