Birding internship and another migrant

Hi again,

Sorry for the extra message, but the internship below seems like
something any right-thinking birder who can spare the time would want to
know about...

Meanwhile, as long as I'm writing again, I ran across another migrant
recently. Actually almost ran over. I was driving home from my advisor's
house at night when something large flashed into my headlights, bouncing
off the hood and over the roof. I turned and found what appeared from
size and color to be Red Bat, a migratory species which passes through
the Carolinas (and might breed here as well). It moved when poked, so we
scooped it up in my baseball cap and took it in the car, hoping it might
only be stunned. Sure enough, five minutes later it crawled out onto my
friend's arm, then fluttered behind us. My friend went into Wellspring
for some groceries, and I noticed a terrible smell; sure enough, the bat
was hiding in the back seat on the floor. Eventually it fluttered around
the back seat some more, then out into the night, where it hopefully is
still out there eating bugs... One friend is now calling my new car the
Batmobile.

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University
Department of Zoology