Re: Ivory-bills

>Paula Mangiafico wrote:

>By the way, does anyone know if there have been any other claimed
>sightings of Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers since the last ones I know about
>(1960s?)?

  There are unconfirmed sightings of Ivory-bills virtually every year, but
of course few considered credible. Florida and Louisiana/Mississippi have
been the sites of the most credible reports within the last 18 mos. and
several search parties actively looked for the bird in the Ms./La area last
yr. following a somewhat credible report (which is mentioned BTW in the book
you discuss Paula). Those searches will continue early next yr.
  Moreover, Jerome Jackson, the US. current expert on Ivory-bills, has
written emphatically that there is simply "no basis" for declaring the IBW
extinct yet and is due to have his own book out at some point devoted to the
bird.  Many animal species in the past (including birds) have gone much
longer than 50 yrs. between sightings, and been prematurely declared extinct
so keep up hope.

   Oh, and Mary Scott runs a wonderful website on Ivory-bills through her
www.birdingamerica.com internet site.

**Rob Gluck     thrush@hotmail.com    Chapel Hill, NC.