Help with Raptor ID

Hello Carolinabirders,

   I was birding at Cowpens National Battlefield which is located in upstate
SC between Gafney & Spartanburg on Tues. 8/29. At ~8:00am I began observing
a small raptor which was perched on a snag ~30ft high. I initially stopped
and looked thru my bins for several minutes. The bird did not seem concerned
by my presence so I approached even closer until I was directly in front and
maybe 10ft from the tree. Each time I moved the bird looked directly at me
but never offered to leave it's perch. I have never experienced this
behavior in any species of raptor before. I continued observing, taking
notes & consulting my Nat. Geo. for 30 min hoping to see the bird in flight.
The bird seemed alert at all times & occasionally preened & once stretched
it's wings as if preparing to fly. Finally I gave up & went to work.
   Here are my field observations. The size was similar to Sharp-shinned or
Coopers. Very mottled appearance overall . The head had a wide white eye
stripe, slight yellow in cere, dark beak, dark(mostly black) eye with dark
patch below eye. Top of head had very fine dark streaks. The breast was
cream with brown streaks. The undertail was dark brown, square and had no
bands. Very fine white lines were on outside of outer tail feathers. The
back was dark brown with white tips at end of secondaries. The primaries
were completely dark brown and extended 1-2" beyond the tail.
   My best guess is Miss. Kite which would seem to be outside its normal
range. Thanks for any replies or comments.

JB Hines
jb.hines@kosa.com
Chesnee, SC