Re: washed-out ponds as otential Black Rail habitat

I haven't seen Greenview in years, so I don't know what the habitat is like
these days.

Probably some of you will remember that a Black Rail was on territory here
for a few weeks in the late spring and early summer of 1978.  I believe that
the bird was not paired.

Ironically, this was the first Black Rail I ever saw.  I had heard many,
many birds on the coast from 1974 to 1978, but had never seen the species
until I saw the Greenview bird.

By the way, I actually spent the night at Greenview one night, sitting in a
lawn chair.  I stayed awake all night.  The Black Rail didn't call once
during the night.  However, it did call regularly in the mornings, after
sunrise.

                                         John Fussell
                                         Morehead City, NC
                                         jfuss@bmd.clis.com