Nighthawks in Asheville

Esther and I encountered Common Nighthawks in Asheville a couple of times
in recent days.  Tuesday evening, we saw 12 to 15  from 630 to 730 pm at
Beaver Lake Bird Sanctuary.  We were leading a bird walk for a Cub Scout
den, and some of the kids got to see the nighthawks, which were flying with
all deliberate speed to the sw.

Then this morning at dawn, we saw a nighthawk circling just above the trees
a block north of our house, as if it was looking for a place to roost.
First dawn sighting of one I can recall.

Also at the sanctuary, one of the boys found an active Goldfinch nest,
above the newer overlook on the lake.  I heard young birds cheeping when an
adult visited the nest and saw it carry something away, probably a fecal
sac.